Friday, March 26, 2010

Stuff I Write: "and leave me to write this poem in peace"

Whoa! I wrote this randomly one night and sobbed for about 30 minutes afterward. Have you ever had one of those moments when you didn't know how strongly you felt about something until you started writing/ talking about it? Yeah. Mos def one of those experiences. The poem is about a boy who I didn't realize I had fallen in love with until his abrupt departure from my life. I'm pretty over it now, but I still felt the need to share this piece. Hopefully someone out there can relate.



Walk Away
BY Susan Baba

walk away

tell the earth that i could not hold you

tell the ocean that i pushed you westward

tell the wind it was
my footsteps, night after night,
that frightened the warmth from our bed

tell the sun it was my salty kiss,
my lips that spoke too loudly,
that made you thirst for something other

fill this universe with the reasons why you must go
flood its shorelines with your well crafted excuses
but

tell
me
nothing
i have heard enough already
i cannot hear your voice
without trembling again

so go,
sweet
riotous man,
find some other woman to hold on to
and leave me to write this poem in peace

1 comment: