Thursday, March 18, 2010

Because (Sometimes) Boys are Better


"You are my favorite stick of dynamite
You are the opposite of a rubber ban
There are so many things that I would tell you
If I thought that you would listen
And so many more you’d tell me
If you believed I would understand
But I hope you know
You were never meant to wear this shadow
"
- Sarah Kay

Like many little girls, I spent my younger days wishing for a little sister...a fellow female with hair that I could braid and clothes for me to borrow. At first I was very hopeful. I mean, my parents had gotten the job done once with me, so why not another? But, as my mother's belly grew big and then returned to normal size (once, twice, thrice) sans a baby girl, I began to realize that I would probably be the single girl child forever.

It was not easy, but I eventually got over the fantasy of having my own little sis. And today, my brothers mean the absolute world to me. They have taught me so much about beauty and love and laughter. In fact, I've learned to cherish my special role as the head femme of the Baba offspring.

So, in honor of these little knuckelheads:), check out the video of Sarah Kay reading her poem "Brother." Fantastic piece!


No comments:

Post a Comment