Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Welcome, October. It's been a long time, my friend


Fall always comes too abruptly. One day, my shoulders are soaking up the sun and I'm complaining about the oppressive heat of the afternoons...and the next, I'm bundled up in coat and scarf and boots.

I can scarcely recall how to dress for this weather. I was so engrossed in summer that I forgot how to "do" fall. But, alas, I must learn again. I'm sure that, as I do year after countless year, I will relish the brisk wind and crunching leaves soon enough, but today...brrrr!

Welcome, October. It's been a long time, my friend :)

The Months: October
BY Linda Pastan

How suddenly
the woods
have turned
again. I feel

like Daphne, standing
with my arms
outstretched
to the season,

overtaken
by color, crowned
with the hammered gold
of leaves.

2 comments:

  1. Good to ride this new season with you, again, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad youre still alive and well :) thanks for reading and for the shout out on your blog!

    ReplyDelete