Monday, October 18, 2010

Sesame Street's "I LOVE my hair" is the new jump off

Oh, Sesame Street, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways!

I found this video of the brown, afro-rocking Muppet sharing her love for her hair on the StyleList and I was immediately in love too. Like most little brown girls, I had major self-esteem issues growing up, that stemmed, in part, from my hatred of my hair. It never did what it was supposed to when I wanted it to and pretty much served as another reminder of how different I was from all of the blond, straight-haired, beautiful creatures I went to school with.

Eventually, I learned this little thing called self-love, realized that my worth resided in much more than my looks, cut off all of my hair and decided to start afresh. But, accepting and embracing my individuality has certainly been a process.

If this awesome song can save just one little brown girl for self-loathing and white-girl hair envy, that would make me oh-so happy:)

This pretty much made my whole week. Hope it brings a bit of sunshine to yours too!



"Don't need a trip to the beauty shop. 'Cause I love what I got on top. It's curly and it's brown and it's right up there! You know what I love? That's right, my hair! I really love my hair!"

No comments:

Post a Comment