Thursday, September 16, 2010

nothing in life is ever wasted

I have always been a big fan of Rumi's poems, but after my trip to Turkey a few weeks ago, I'm more in love with him than before!! Turkey was his stomping ground and the order of Whirling Dervishes, that he began, is still active today in Istanbul.

So, in honor of my renewed adoration for this beautiful man, I'm posting his poem "Guest House." It pretty much sums up my thoughts on life right now.

Life is complicated, good people. I know I don't need to tell you that. I'm sure you've experienced this first hand. Life is ephemeral. Relationships are complex. Shit happens. But, nothing in life is ever wasted. That’s my current life motto :) Crazy days will come, but everything is as it was intended to be. Every day moves us closer to who we are supposed to be.

enjoy!

ps...i'll post more about my trip. so much to share, but not quite yet...;)

Guest House
BY Rumi

This being human is a guest house
Every morning a new arrival.
A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they are a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still treat each guest honorably.

He may be clearing you out for some new delight.
The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.

Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

3 comments:

  1. An interesting piece with a touch of philosophy from your likeable-self.

    I really loved the metaphor and analogy in the poem, and appreciate some of his sentiments.

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it. Thanks so much for the comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete