Friday, September 24, 2010

love isn't always magic

This poem popped up on my ipod the other day and I cried. I'm over it now, but I can't tease out the exact word or thought or emotion that set off the waterworks. All I know is that this poem touched my heart in some way...maybe I need you...

Maybe I Need You
BY Andrea Gibson


"But I know now it doesn't matter how well I say grace
if I am sitting at a table where I am offering no bread to eat
So this is my wheat field
you can have every acre love
this is my garden song
this is my fist fight
with that bitter frost
tonight I begged another stage light to become that back alley street lamp that we danced beneath
the night your warm mouth fell on my timid cheek
as i sang "maybe i need you"
off key
but in tune
"maybe i need you" the way that big moon needs that open sea
maybe i didn't even know i was here til i saw you holding me
give me one room to come home to
give me the palm of your hand
every strand of my hair is a kite string
and I have been blue in the face with your sky
crying a flood over iowa so you mother will wake to venice
lover I smashed my glass slipper to build a stained glass window for every wall inside my chest
now my heart is a pressed flower and a tattered bible
it is the one verse you can trust
so I'm putting all of my words in the collection plate
I am setting the table with bread and grace
my knees are bent
like the corner of a page
I am saving your place"


More Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment