Thursday, August 13, 2009

Who Was Peter of the Earth?

Peter James Conti was a poet, a painter, a changling. He loved calamari and The Simpsons. He is the best friend I have ever had. I cannot recall when or where we met. It is as if he had always been a part of my life. He was the Mulder to my Scully. Homer to my Marge. He was my heart. I do not know who I will be in this world without him. But I know that my days are full of more love and light and laughter because of his incredible spirit. - Felice Belle
From Words on Asphalt

After reading this excerpt from Felice's tribute above and listening to Marty McConnell's touching poem "Alignment", I was inspired to find out more about this beautiful man whose untimely death in winter 2005 was so beautifully mourned by many in the NYC poetry scene.

Read another triubte here

I was also inspired to write a bit myself. Enjoy!

To Peter
By Susan Baba

Peter of the Earth, I never knew you
But my heart feels like it did
You see, I know you only through verse
Free words careening into beautiful
Through the living memorial your friends have build to you
in poems
Precious homage
Blessed praise
In lyric
Through metaphor
I hear their voices cracking with every line
They feel your absence like empty at their doorstep
Yet they honor you with laughter
With every line,
Praising your voice

Your joy
Your free, free way of calling every moment special
You poet turned angel, you
They have honored you well

No comments:

Post a Comment