Sunday, February 28, 2010

Morgan Freeman's Thoughts on Black History Month


Not sure I fully endorse this statement, but Freeman's 2005 comments on "60 Minutes" sparked a national debate that has been interesting to watch. Check out the vid below, and you'll get my drift.

There's certainly some truth to his statement. In the same way that our futures are indelibly linked, our pasts have been just as tightly bound. So, does it make sense to relegate a people to a single month when Black history, Native American history, Asian history, Jewish history etc...you name it...are, indeed, EVERYONE'S history? But on the flip side, if we don't make a conscious effort to acknowledge and celebrate our diversity (even for a month), it will likely go unnoticed.

Not really sure what side I'm on, but I hope you've enjoyed this BHM feature, nonetheless.

I hope that this poetic journey has opened your eyes to a different understanding of the world and has helped you to discover something new about yourself. It surely has had that effect on me.

As always, thanks for reading! You rock!

-sb


No comments:

Post a Comment