Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Love Me Always


Love is in the air and, instead of being my usual bitter and single self, I've decided to soak it up and hold back my bah humbugs for this week! Tonight, I'm actually starting my V-Day early by heading to the Midnight Sun Cafe's Valentines poetry showcase. Yowza:-)

In honor of my slight change of heart, I'm posting this lovely piece by Claud McKay. Not your typical love poem, but McKay's not exactly your typical love poet. For a heavy hitter of the Harlem Renaissance, who made his name famous with highly political and often straight up militant poetry, this strikes just the right balance between romantic infatuation and pragmatism.

Enjoy and let me know what stores have sales on V-Day candy. I need to stock up!!

Romance
BY Claude McKay

To clasp you now and feel your head close-pressed,
Scented and warm against my beating breast;

To whisper soft and quivering your name,
And drink the passion burning in your frame;

To lie at full length, taut, with cheek to cheek,
And tease your mouth with kisses till you speak

Love words, mad words, dream words, sweet senseless words,
Melodious like notes of mating birds;

To hear you ask if I shall love always,
And myself answer: Till the end of days;

To feel your easeful sigh of happiness
When on your trembling lips I murmur: Yes;

It is so sweet. We know it is not true.
What matters it? The night must shed her dew.

We know it is not true, but it is sweet—
The poem with this music is complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment