Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Stuff I Like: Def Poetry Jam


In case you haven't noticed, I am a mega humongous fan of Def Poetry Jam. This show rocks for so many reasons. Besides being hosted by the ultra attractive Mos Def, I credit Def Poetry with making poetry hott again. When it first aired in 2005 (might need to fact check?), It brought spoken word to thousands of US households in a totally non-confrontational way. I must say, that it was truly my inspiration for getting hip to this form of self-expression. Yes, I had always written poem and stories and things as a kid, but seeing that work performed as eloquently as the guests on the show did, helped me take my art to a whole other level. Besides their single slip up last season when they had DMX on (really!!?? to say that his poem about "the industry" was horrible would be an understatement of the grossest form), they have kept it hot for six seasons and have continued to provide a forum for new and famous talent to share the same stage and a common love of the word.

"Recognizing the power of urban poetry on modern culture, top rap music impresario Simmons, whose Def Jam Records launched the careers of artists such as LL Cool J and Jay-Z, teamed up with HBO to create Russell Simmons Presents Def Poetry in 2001, turning the spotlight on the freshest and most fearless voices in America today."

Sadly, I have been sans HBO for the past few months, but I'm kept up with the season through random clips that sneak onto the Internet. If you're looking for something to get me for Christmas, birthday, Wednesday or whatever, please consider the Def Poetry DVD. Thanks!!

And...if for some crazy reason, you are not hip to this show, please run (do not walk!) to your local library or video rental store at grab season 6 on dvd.

No comments:

Post a Comment