Friday, December 18, 2009

My Mother - The Poetess

Have you ever had one of those moments when you realize that your parents are actually people? Actually kind of cool? That they can like things that are interesting and know things that you don't, but would like to know?

I had one of these moments the other day when I was raving to my mother about this African author I met and how impressed I was that such great work was coming from people who looked like me. I was going on and on and ON...when she said, in an ultra cool voice, "We've been moving the world with our writing forever." She then proceeded to recite...from memory...David Diop's famous "Africa my Africa" poem. My jaw was on the floor. No lie. Who knew that my mom was such a poetess...that she could appreciate such beauty...that we were so similar in such an important way. It was as if Diop walked into that room that night, transcending time and space, just to unite my mother and me. It was beautiful to be able to share and learn.

Anyway...continuing with African Poets Week, Here's Diop's famous work below. There's also a mini-bio from Poets.org below.

Africa
BY David Diop

Africa my Africa
Africa of proud warriors in ancestral savannahs
Africa of whom my grandmother sings
On the banks of the distant river
I have never known you
But your blood flows in my veins
Your beautiful black blood that irrigates the fields
The blood of your sweat
The sweat of your work
The work of your slavery
The slavery of your children.

Africa, tell me Africa
Is this your back that is bent
This back that breaks under the weight of humiliation
This back trembling with red scars
And saying no to the whip under the midday sun.

But a grave voice answers me
Impetuous child that tree, young and strong
That tree over there
Splendidly alone amidst white and faded flowers
That is your Africa springing up anew
Springing up patiently, obstinately
Whose fruit bit by bit acquires
The bitter taste of liberty.


Mini Bio:-) (courtesy of Poets.org)
David Mandessi Diop was born in Bordeaux, France, on July 9, 1927, to a Cameroonean mother and a Sengalese father. Although he grew up in France and lived most of his life there, Diop spent significant time living and teaching in Africa, which helped reinforce his opposition to European society. Consequently, many of his poems discuss his empathy with Africa and the movement for independence from French Colonialists.

1 comment:

  1. One of my favourites. Knew it by heart in high school and can recite it faithfully, thank God.

    ReplyDelete