Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Last Booty Call on Earth


Tonight, (after talking to a former crush whose interests lie more strongly in the parts below my neck than those above it) I was inspired to write a poem. It's a pretty somber piece that doesn't end as I would end it in my life today, but I needed to get it off my chest for one last time. It's sort of a last hoorah for the woman in me who once thought that a drunk text at 2a or a random booty call was an appropriate proxy for love.

That woman has long since fallen by the wayside, but she will be buried for good in 2009. AMEN!

So, Au-Revoir to the 2009 Booty Call! Mr. Late-Night-Text, please delete my number. Unlike the girl in the poem below, I am not afraid to reject your calls:-)

Enjoy and Stay Safe this NYE!

The Last Booty Call on Earth

BY Susan Baba

He only calls when he is drunk these days.
It is only when the bottle leaves him stumbling
that he craves the strong anchor of my arms
Yearns for the solid ground,
soft blanket of my ever-abiding love for him.

Even when he cannot remember his name
or even his own address,
my number clings to his mind –
distant but clear

He remembers that I am good
and honest
and waiting
With eyes that never ask why,
hands that can carry all that he wish he were but cannot be,
a head that will stand tall,
lips that will not quiver,
a mouth that will never open up
and ask him to stay for breakfast.
A tongue,
Oh, that silent tongue -
the one that promises not to betray the heart
that's breaking just a few inches below.

This wretched body -
always open and accepting
These horrid hands -
forever waiting and forgiving.

Despite my best attempts,
I will always
answer
the phone.


6 comments:

  1. this is splendid, especially as it is a poem sincere to reality & reads less as Susan's confessional.

    i am far from a poet, but i think the poem could be even better if you were to 'poet' why some women have such fidelity to men, like ya crush. I guess we are all hostage to lust, even unknowingly??

    why do some women move against the self?

    despite all that...thank you for sharing this & let us keep that woman buried for good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. man...good question! i write a lot about what it feels like to keep going back, despite being able to see the situation for what it is, but ive never dissected the "why." hmmm...

    maybe in 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i know, right?! i'm really loving this pic:-) thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great poem! i seriously love it.

    ReplyDelete