Monday, November 2, 2009

What's Genocide? And Why I Love Poets!

I love poets. That's not a shocker. But there was one poet that originated this obsession - Carlos Andrés Gómez. 2006. ::Sigh:: He was my very first poet crush and was literally the man who opened the floodgates for the many crazy, sexy, cool relationships I've had since then.
This was the poem that did me in:-) Gotta love a man who can still look adorable while talking about neocolonialism and oppression. Not my favorite version of it (its way faster than he has it on the cd and cuts out some pretty epic lines) but you get the point.

And please don't be fooled by my school-girl-crush description above. This poem is serious!

Enjoy!


"What's genocide?
Maureene's mother gave her skin lightening cream the day before she started the sixth grade.
What's genocide?
She carved straight lines into her beautiful brown thighs so she could remember what it feels like to heal."


What's genocide?
BY Carlos Andrés Gómez

No comments:

Post a Comment