Monday, October 19, 2009

Herta Mueller will NOT be Overshadowed


Of course Obama's Noble Peace Prize win took over the entire media universe and more or less blocked out the sun last week. But Herta Mueller will NOT be Overshadowed!!This Romanian-born German author was awarded the 2009 Nobel Prize in literature on October 8th. She received particular praise from the Nobel Committee on her work which, "with the concentration of poetry and the frankness of prose, depicts the landscape of the dispossessed."

Quick history lesson - In 1982, Mueller published her first collection of short stories about the difficulties of living in a small village, like the one where she was raised. Although her book was censored by Romanian authorities, an uncensored version was released in Germany and garnered critical acclaim for the then young Mueller. 19 books later, she's still rocking!

Yay Herta!! Yay for chicas who buck the system to create work that is worthy of such an honor.

I've only read excerpts from some of her books, but I'm adding her to my reading list. As soon as I finish Jhumpa Lahiri's Unaccustomed Earth, I'm picking up Mueller's most recent work - The Appointment.


PS - Do you know the past winners of the Nobel Prize in Literature (1901 and 2008)?

2 comments:

  1. I love how I feel like I walk away smarter after I read your blog! I am going to definitely seek out one of her short stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude!! i learn a lot just from researching my blog posts, so im glad its the same for those on the receiving end. thanks so much for reading:-)

    love love love your blog too. its great to get to keep up with your life!

    ReplyDelete