Thursday, October 22, 2009

POETRY > War

So, I've been reading a lot about the mass rapes that happened in Guinea during last month's military crack down. Hundreds of women, peacefully protesting for democracy were ambushed and raped by military officers...in broad daylight!! I know...madness!! It made my soul hurt and more or less broke my tiny little heart into pieces all week. But, it also inspired me to search around the net for some good news.



AND, I FOUND some!! Poets Against The War. There's more than a bit of politicin' on here, so be forewarned...but it's an amazing celebration of self-expression in the face of war. The organization's mission is simple -

to continue the tradition of socially engaged poetry by creating venues for poetry as a voice against war, tyranny and oppression.

There is something so empowering and liberating about art:-) I was even inspired to write a bit myself.


Poetry > War

BY Susan Baba

She will never kill
for justice
and you cannot make her.
She will fight with all her might for you to see that we are all precious
from the smallest to the greatest among us
we all have worth.
She will fight
with words,
attack you when you are not looking
with the bullet of self-expression.
She will read and write and create and love until the wall breaks
and there's a crack big enough
for hope to slip through.
That is what a poet can do.


::love::peace::justice

2 comments:

  1. I agree. The Poets Against War website is well worth exploring and indeed contributing to. I've also contributed. Aboout half a dozen poems over the last couple of years. One of them was even selected as a Poem of the Month. You can't imagine how much pleasure that gave me. To think that I was maybe helping someone somewhere with my work of words.
    Best bardic wishes,
    Gwilym

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gwilym
    Congrats on your various features on the site. i'll have to check them out. Thanks so much for reading!

    ReplyDelete