Thursday, September 17, 2009

Stuff I Write: Rules of Engagement (All 3 Parts)

Rules of Engagement
BY Susan Baba

1.
listen to my heart
does it sounds broken to you?
you see, a heart can only take so much pain
can only crumble into so many pieces
before it is gone

2.
lover
when you take your leave
let it be complete
leave no trace of the broken fragments for me to slip upon
take away every remembrance of us
until
there is no more

3.
to me
love is an unfamiliar term
I squint hard to remember when I knew it well
knew you
loved you like flesh of my own
saw the word "eternal" sketched across our love
but now
no more
no more knowing your life in beautiful detail
holding each syllable
every word
in my mind to draw upon and smile
no more sitting forehead to forehead
willing you to kiss me first
no more talking to you first thing
and last thing
finishing your sentences before you do
no more us, really
no more us.

I know that "friendship" was what we had agreed to
but this cannot be
you see, even my body remembers you
feels your palm on the small of my back
when no one is there
even my eyes remember you
see flashes of your smile on the face of another
so
no
more
I will no longer be your lover,
but I cannot be your friend

No comments:

Post a Comment